Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I Killed the Love Fern

Yup, that's right. I killed it. It looks horrible. And I feel even worse.

At the beginning of summer, Josh surprised me with a beautiful Orchid which only had three blooms at the time. It survived and thrived through all of my moves this summer. I took good care of it, watering it with love (and water of course), and keeping it in just the right amount of indirect sunlight. At it's heyday it had seven beautiful blooms! The one week I was away from the love fern was the hottest week of the summer. It was so hot inside my parents' house that all the flowers wilted and three fell to an untimely death. But as soon as I returned, it got better. Much better. Another flower even began to bloom (I must be magical). Now I have been living in a basement for over a month and it has been perched in my window, not too hot, not too cold, and with just enough sunlight and water that it has remained very happy. Until this week.

The other day I got home to find that all the flowers were wilting again. I did everything I could, but they all died. Only one is left, hanging on, barely alive, but mostly dead. I am horrified! How could I let the fragrantly beautiful representation of our love die?!? I feel like a terrible girlfriend.

So today I researched an orchid site to help me revive my poor little plant, and I learned that most Orchids only bloom 2-3 months at a time. Mine bloomed for 5 months! I suddenly felt much better. It also helped to know that most Orchids bloom 2-3 times a year, so I only have to look at a seemingly dead plant for another few months before it (hopefully) comes back to life.

Thank goodness our love fern isn't an actual manifestation of our relationship, otherwise it'd be bad news for me and Josh!

If you want to learn more about Orchids too, go here.
If you have been asking yourself, "What the heck is a love fern??!?" watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and go here.


The love fern at its peak with seven blooms
The love fern today. Poor love fern :(


No comments:

Post a Comment