Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Engagement Story

As I write this, I feel so distracted because every time I move my left hand a sparkle catches my eye and my train of thought is replaced with, "Oooohhhh.... Preeeetttyyyy..." After 3 days I am still getting used to the glittering rock that adorns my finger. I also have moments quite often where I randomly remember, "Oh! I am engaged!! I am getting Married!!!!!!" And then I huge dorky smile races across my face. Good thing I am too high on Cloud 9 to care what my face looks like. It helps that no one even notices because they're all too busy staring at my ring and asking me the story. And after retelling it a few hundred times already, I thought it would be a good idea to write it down and just refer people to my blog to read it. It'll at least save my vocal chords! So, without further ado, here is 'the story'...

Saturday was the Navy's birthday ball, and Josh hates Navy Ball. Every year he is in a bad mood due to the "mandatory fun" required of him. Ironic, because he doesn't have much fun at all. I, however, love Navy Ball. It is one of my favorite events all year. I love dressing up and going out for an evening all dolled up and feeling extraordinarily beautiful. But every year Josh's grumpiness brings my excitement down a few notches. So, Friday night he asked to take me out to breakfast to butter me up and store up brownie points for the following evening. When I told my roommates that, they snickered and told me that if he was going to take me out to breakfast at 8 o'clock in the morning, it better be freaking magical. I laughed but didn't think anything of it.

Well, I got a call waking me up the next morning from Josh, asking me to let him in. Confused, asking why he was at my door when I was supposed to pick him up in 30 minutes, I opened the door to find my handsome man holding a bouquet of roses that were beautiful, but imperfect just like our relationship (according to him). I was stunned by his effort and thought he must really be buttering me up! I changed out of my pj's and into nicer clothes and higher heels (per Josh's request), and we left for breakfast.

At breakfast I joked with him about how Morgan and Jackie said our breakfast ought to be magical, and to that he devoured his biscuits and gravy and exclaimed that his breakfast magically disappeared! We laughed and joked and had a good time. After breakfast Josh drove me up one of the local canyons to try and see the fall colors. The leaves had already fallen, but it was still beautiful. We stopped at the trailhead at the top of the canyon where many late-night conversations happened that eventually lead us to date over three years ago. We had never been there during the day and enjoyed the view of the mountains and the valley below. He lovingly asked me if we could do a devotion together. My heart fluttered at the rare opportunity to dig into God's Word together. We read over 1 Corinthians 13 to reflect on what love truly is and how to apply those principles into our relationship. Josh concluded that I am patient and kind and am not arrogant or rude and that he needs to be more like me. I laughed. We spent some time praying and then Josh suggested we should explore some one of the trails. I looked hesitantly down at my high heels, but agreed to explore. But I did so with the understanding that if our hike ruined the high heels he told me to wear, he would buy me a new pair of shoes. :)


I climbed the hill/mountain trail with surprising ease despite my footwear and nagging cough and cold. But the view from the top was worth it. It was beautiful. even though the leaves had already fallen, it was slightly cloudy and crisp, but quiet and serene. We were eye to eye with the nearby peaks, and it was stunning. He held me close against him and told me that it was so beautiful, but not as beautiful as me. I love when Josh is cheesy and romantic. The funny part was though that he said that exact phrase six times in a row! And when he repeatedly pushed me away and then pulled me close over and over, I knew something was up. I couldn't tell if he was nervous or just being funny. But before I could really think about that, he got down on one knee. My eyes immediately went wider than my sockets and I started freaking out. I kept saying, "SHUT UP! NO WAY!! OH MY GOSH!!! YOU'RE TOTALLY KIDDING ME!!!!" over and over and he couldn't get a word in edgewise. Needless to say I was shocked. I knew it was coming, but I had been given false information stating that it wouldn't happen till after Thanksgiving. So I was genuinely surprised. Once he was finally able to squeak out, "Amie, will you marry me?" I freaked out even more. "OH MY GOSH!!!! YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!!! SERIOUSLY???? I mean, YES!! Of course! YES!! YES!!!!" We kissed and savored that moment in each others' arms and admired the view sparkling from my finger as well as the scenery. It felt so surreal, like a dream you'd never want to wake up from. Afterwards he told me that he was nervous about what he would say. Haha. Little did he know that I wouldn't even give him a chance to say much of anything!



Now, having a few days to process, I still have my moments where I wonder if I'm dreaming because it seems unreal to be able to marry the man of my dreams. Josh and I are so perfect for each other. By no means are we perfect, but we compliment each other so uniquely that I can't imagine myself with anyone else. Following this story, many have also asked me if I'm prepared to be a Navy wife. Honestly, I have no real idea what that entails. But I know that being able to walk with Josh in life is worth the sacrifice that is inevitable. And I know that if God really does have a perfect plan for my life and marrying Josh is part of it, then I know he's been preparing me (and will continue) to deal with the challenges of military life. But the best part of this story is knowing that marriage is a commitment, and there's no one better to commit your life to than your best friend. I love you Joshua. 
Showing off my ring and my fiance at the Navy Ball that night. What a great looking couple!
Can't believe this wonderful man will soon be my husband :)

6 comments:

  1. I love you too baby doll :* PS, you forgot to mention that you said something along the lines that you wish we could do this forever and I finally used that as my cue to get on my knee. Other than that pretty accurate lol. I love you fiancé

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe! See, I told you it better be magical! :) I love you both so much and I'm so excited to be a part of your special day and to have seen your relationship grow from its baby stages to now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. Perhaps the most BEAUTIFUL thing I have ever read! I love you both!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie, that's a beautiful story! I'm so happy for you two! Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amie, thanks for sharing the story. Love hearing about you and Josh. Can not wait to finally meet you, the woman who captured Josh's heart. So happy for you both!!!!! Aunt D (in San Diego), the Glaziers have so many adoring fans and relatives :-)

    ReplyDelete