Monday, December 19, 2011

Pass It On

When I first got engaged, I was first elated, and then overwhelmed when I started to think of everything that needed to be done. Now, two months into it, Almost everything is either booked or has been purchased, and even though things are moving fast as May rapidly approaches, I feel like I am able to relax and enjoy the planning. 

I have a friend who just got engaged this weekend and is planning to be married in February. I am so excited for her! But as we were talking about it, I could see the look of fear and stress overtake her face. This is a time where she should be joyous and excited to take this new step in her life, but instead she is burdened by plans and stressed that she doesn't know what to do or where to even begin. Being slightly ahead of the planning process, I offered to help her. And within 20 minutes I was able to give her nearly 20 different links to dress rental shops, caterers, marriage license and name change info, reception venues, how to register with various stores, easy invitations, and upcoming bridal expos. Having been in her shoes, I know how helpful and essential this is. 

If it weren't for Jackie, Sharayah, and other recently wedded individuals, I would have been so bogged down and lost, that I would have been on the verge of a stress-induced coma. I am so grateful for their help in my planning process (and continuous help), and I am so grateful that I was able to pay that forward today. 

So, as as the world prepares to pause (hopefully) and celebrate Peace, let's stop and think about what others have done for us. What can you do to pass this kindness on to another? What can you do for a friend or stranger that they can pass it on to someone else? As we are in the midst of the season of giving, think about what things you can give. Because the best gifts are those that can't be returned, but passed on. 


1 comment: