Sunday, April 17, 2011

7 Lessons Learned in the Sun

I did NOT want to leave San Diego. But now that I am back, let me share a bit of wisdom that I gleaned.

1. "If I could offer you one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it..." (Anyone remember that song??) Anyway, I did wear sunscreen, but still somehow burned that first day, and probably because my skin hadn't seen real sun in months. And it wouldn't have been so bad, but I burned my forehead, a V on my chest, and just the tip of my nose. I felt like a clown for a few days...



2. Everyone hypes-up In-N-Out. The hype is real. In-N-Out is amazing. This was my first time, and I was surprised to find that they have Bible verses on everything! When Nathaniel pointed that out, my burger somehow tasted even better... And the fries??? Don't even get me started on the fries. Yummm...


3. Cowboys are funny. One of the new staff who was there last week is a true cowboy. His name even reflects his true nature; his name is Cowboy Bob (no joke, that's what everyone calls him.). Well, one night a bunch of us were in his truck (a true, big, manly, red, cowboy pick-up truck) driving to dinner, someone commented that we were speeding past everyone else. He responded in his cowboy twang, "I'm going 75. I just happen to be doing it faster than everyone else..." I nearly died of laughter.

4. The beach is amazing. This may not be surprising, but having lived my whole life land-locked, I cherished every second in the sand. And learned that you can find amazing treasures washed up on the beach (like the "stylish" sunglasses pictured). One of the things that relaxes me the most is laying on the sand, in the sun, listening to the ocean. So amazing. I did it every afternoon and I feel so refreshed as a result. One afternoon a bunch of us went to La Jolla Beach and watched the sea lions and pelicans. It was amazing. And I got a tan. The Irish always say to not be fooled by a tan, because it is only rust. Well, Portlanders be fooled. This is really a tan :)


5. New friends are super-great. I made a new friend. Her name is Sarah. We went shopping and tried on beachy dresses and walked along the ocean and stayed up late talking about life. I enjoyed it so much. Kinda makes me wish I was still in Utah so we could hang out more. But I am so grateful we got that week to get to know each other.



6. God is good. This was a trip with new Campus Crusade staff, and our seminars every morning were edifying and really challenged me in my walk with God. I spent my mornings walking Pacific Beach with Starbucks and Jesus. It was so wonderful to spend that intimate time with Him and see how God used the whole experience to move me and shape me.


7. I could totally see myself as a California girl. I have grown up in the mountains my whole life in land-locked places, but the few times I have been to the beach and the ocean I love it. I immensely enjoyed my time wandering around Mission Beach this past week. If God called me to  move to So Cal for whatever reason, I know now that I wouldn't argue. I could definitely get used to this...

No comments:

Post a Comment