Sunday, March 27, 2011

Why I Need to Send My Smartphone to the Principal's Office

I gave in. I sold out. I moved up. I finally got a (real) smart phone... Or did I?

I tossed aside my Blackberry (I literally tossed it out of sheer joy of something, anything better) and got Verizon's new HTC Thunderbolt today. With lightning-fast speeds and booming surround sound, this 4.3" phone packs quite the punch. I spent all afternoon setting everything up, customizing features, and downloading apps (facebook and foursquare were first). I did a lot of research before buying this phone. This is one of the top phones on the market right now, at least until tomorrow's technology surpasses it, and the Thunderbolt even has the iPhone beat on most polls. So, as Verizon's Valedictorian (the smartest smartphone at the top of the class), I had high expectations of this phone. And all of them were met... all but one.

After playing around and enjoying my new "buddy" myself, I wanted to share my happiness. I went to text a friend only to realize that his number was not under his name. All that was there in his entry was his bright smiling face from his facebook profile picture. I checked another one. No number. Another one, just an email... It seems when my contacts "synced" from my Blackberry, everyone's names transferred, but only those who I did not know through facebook had numbers.

So what is supposed to be the smartest smarty-pants "I get straight A's in all of my AP college classes" phone, failed, EPIC FAILED its first real test. Which is funny, because even the battery, which is rumored to be the worst of any phone ever, actually lasted all day. Go figure...

Well my not-so-little Thunderbolt, you will be spending some time in the principal's office tomorrow. So please study tonight, super-cram study please, so you can pass your re-test tomorrow. Thanks. 

1 comment:

  1. My friend just got a Thunderbolt, and was asking me all sorts of questions about android, etc.

    When I got and android phone about a year and a half ago, I had no trouble syncing contacts from my previous dumbphone. I suppose the reason for this was that being a T-mobile user, I have a physical SIM card that I was able to save my contacts on, which made transferring them to my new device very easy.

    Make sure that you set up contact sync with you google/gmail account. That way, if anything unfortunate should happen to your phone, you'll still have all your contacts saved in an easily accessible place.

    ReplyDelete